Tuesday, November 23, 2010

CONFESSIONS OF A CHRISTIAN

One of my biggest fears has to do with my relationship with God…my biggest fear is complacency concerning my faith journey. You see, I know many youth pastors, student ministry directors, and even pastors in churches that are going through the motion. When I’ve confronted them, I was told that it’s merely a byproduct of ‘knowing too much’-at the very least I think it’s pride.
Why am I telling you this? Because I know it’s something that many Christians struggle with. In our busy world we have obligations and for some of us God is just another obligation. We often find ourselves with little time and energy for others-whether they’re friends or family members and God is no different.
Now, you don’t have to agree with me, but over the years I’ve discovered that we all need healthy boundaries. This idea isn’t my own, in fact, Jesus himself withdrew from the everyday tasks of life to reconnect with God (Luke 5:15-16 & Mark 1:35). I feel that opportunities such as the Leadership Institute and the National Youth Workers Convention are a time to reconnect and grow in my understanding of who I am, where I am, and why.
These two events help me think outside of the box concerning the ever changing ministry landscape that is Christianity. In order to reach people outside of the church one needs to ReThink what’s been done, how it was done and why. We as God’s people can’t keep doing the same things and expect different results. It isn’t healthy and we need to constantly reconnect with our creator and learn to stay connected with one another-that is true community-connectedness.
So, how are you staying connected? With family, friends, and with our God? Are you where you know you need to be or just where you can be when you can be? What do you need and what is needed of you from family, friends, and God? Do you hear God's call upon your heart to do more? If so, you need to take some time to reconnect and search out his direction-what does he require of you?
These are all tough questions and may lead you to a place you may find uncomfortable. But I truly believe that God doesn't call us to comfort, but to work! We are each called to pick up our cross for Jesus and blaze the trail-changing the way the world thinks about us as Christians. And if you don't already know what those from the outside looking in think-pick up unChristian and When Christians Get It Wrong.
There are way too many who think we're hypocritical, judgmental, and too political.
Join me on this journey inward as we honestly reconnect with relationships that bring true life. Stop going through the motion, humble yourself, and truly become open to God's direction for you and His church universal-not just your church home.

No comments: