Thursday, July 15, 2010

THE CHRISTIAN ATHEIST

I recently picked up a book called 'The Christian Atheist: Believing in God, but living as if He doesn't exist'. I didn't just pick this up because the title was catchy, but because it reminded me of something another book taught me-that there are more than two types of people out there. In fact, there are three types of people out there: 1. those who are saved, 2. those who are unsaved, and 3. those who are saved but unspiritual. Of course, the book I'm referring to is older and considered out of date, but this book brings it new life and meaning. Not because it's repackaged, but because it speaks truth about today's culture and society-taking a more dynamic look at this phenomenon.
While a majority of today's population (95% of the U.S.) say they believe in God I would say that it doesn't look like our country reflects that Christ-like character or behavior. Where's the grace, patience, and forgiveness (1st Cor. 13) in senseless acts violence-I don't see the 'Goldren Rule' (Matt. 7:12 or Luke 6:27-31) lived out in the pages I read in the paper or on the internet.
Back in the day, 'my word is my bond' used to mean something, but now...talk is cheap. You may talk a good game, but can you deliever? And if you don't deliver or fall short (Romans 3:23) you're ruined-just ask Tiger Woods about the judgement he recieved. I know I've used this before, but I'm going to use it again because we have a nasty tendency to 'judge others by their behavior (our preception) and judge ourselves on our good intentions'. Too often we're the ones asking for some 'slack' when the heat is turned up on us and we're too quick to throw someone under the bus or place blame-when it falls on us alone.
So where am I going with this...simple...if 95% of Americans claim to believe in God-why isn't there enough love in our communities? There are many who go hungry in our very backyard, and many who go un-noticed in our own church pews on Sundays. I really think there are too many of us out there who are truly Christian Atheists-by the words we speak and the things we do...they will know IF we are Christians.
My challenge to you is to 'DO HARD THINGS' and stop just talking about it and starting doing something about it. God has put you here for a reason and it isn't to just see things pass you by or for you to hear of needs, but to meet the needs of others and do see a need and take action!
-Questions to ponder:
Are you a Christian Atheist?
Do you know someone who is?
Do you know someone who glows with the love of Christ?
What is getting in the way of you taking that next step?
*Prayerfully consider asking Jesus to take over...for real this time-no passenger seat.

No comments: