Thursday, July 22, 2010

FALLING IN LOVE OR OUT OF LOVE?

'If we deny love that is given to us, if we refuse to give love because we fear pain or loss, then our lives will be empty, our loss greater.'
-Unknown

'If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.'
-1st Cor. 13: 1-3


Most of us have fallen in and out of love with someone or something in our lives-whether it's a relationship with the opposite sex, a job, or our personal journey with God. We have struggled with loving others and even ourselves, but there's still someone we really struggle with...GOD. One needs only to pick up the Bible to find stories of mere mortals struggling to find their purpose or reason for living-seeking direction and in the midst of their brokenness find a feeling they cannot escape...the warmth of love, grace, and forgiveness.

Since the O.T. when Moses was about to reveal God to the Isrealites we've been trying to wrap our heads around this God who claims to be the great 'I AM' (Exodus 3:13). And there have been many who have been angry with God too-we need only look at the prophet Jonah...he thought the people of Nineveh deserved God's wrath, but God gave them mercy and it made Jonah a bit grumpy.

Sometimes we just don't understand what God's trying to say to us. It's not that he doesn't answer prayer, it's just we have a tough time listening and accepting His answers. Sometimes we're asked to give up our desires to meet the needs of others-friends, family, or complete strangers and that's hard sometimes.
So how do you define love? I provided the 13th Chapter of 1st Corinthians, but we have our own words and ideas too...here's what's commonly described as love:
-An emotion of strong affection and personal attachment.
-A virtue representing all of human kindness, compassion, and affection.
*Interesting how similar that is to what is described in the 13th Chapter.

Change isn't easy, but if we're committed to this relationship we know it will have it's ups and downs. Love isn't some obligation to someone or something. Love is merely something that is in our nature. If we force it, it's fake and loses it's flavor (Matt. 5:13-16)-we no longer become interested and we are no longer interesting. Think about it...what is it about us that attracks others? Sure, we can be funny and humorous, but when friends are in need they aren't looking for your humor...they're looking for your comfort, time, and compassion. When we are broken and lost we seek out those we trust most in our lives for direction and advice. I pray that we don't forget that God is a part of this equation too-the equation to happiness and life.

*Below is a link to a couple videos-more importantly they are songs by Jason Gray called 'More Like Falling In Love' and Jars of Clay's 'Love Song For A Savior'. I think both are fitting for this blog. Listen to the words and see if they don't speak to you from deep within.

CHALLENGE-
I challenge you to ask yourself the following questions:
-What areas of my life do I not care about that I know I should care about?
-In what areas have I fallen short of God's standards and my own potential?
-In what areas have I settled for just getting by when I know I could do better if I really tried?
-In what areas have I decided that things 'will always be this way' without ever putting the kind of effort that really changes things?

We should recognize that our relationships are always in flux-changes need to be made. It's like a dance and sometimes we get out of step with God and distance ourselves...we only need to realize that we need Him and that if we seek Him in all that we do, He will make our paths straight. No one said it would be easy because it isn't...it requires us to be flexible (Romans 12:1-2).

CLICK HERE for Jason Gray's video

No comments: