Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy New Year!

Have you ever stopped and thought about the year that was? I mean this year, 2008 or any other year previously. Have you really thought about what God has been telling you all year-or at least what He has tried to tell you throughout the year?
Have you ever read Micah 6:8? If you haven't, I'll save you some time...here's what it says: 'He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.' (NIV)
Of course, it may depend on your translation, but basically it sounds like around this time of year we take a look back at our accomplishments and failures-of course we don't focus on the failures, but I wonder whether or not in our fond memories and not-so-fond memories we have learned what God has taught us this past year.
I just got done with a Lock-In and showed 'The Passion of The Christ'. After it was done many of the youth said it changed their perspective on Christ's sacrifice. Interesting huh? Many said it evoked some emotions that made them boil within. Which of course was the hope since Christmas was just celebrated, I thought it would be fitting to show the movie that got to the heart of Christmas-Christ. During Christmas we talk of His virgin birth and open presents, but I think we forget that his birth was the 'hope' and that His death was God's gift to us.
I know I wrote about it briefly in my last blog, but I don't think I elaborated on it enough. As we end 2008 I hope that we remember that 2008 even with all it's failures and blessings has a lot to teach us about what God has in store for us in 2009.
I think if we don't do what is good, act justly, love mercy, or walk humbly with God we are only deluding ourselves. When you look back at 2008 do you think about your accomplishments or the things that were made possible through you for God's glory?
It's a challenge to do what is right and to give mercy to those who we feel don't deserve it. And it's even harder to walk humbly in our daily lives when we sometimes forget the provider of all that that we have and enjoy/take for granted.
So where am I going with this...well...ask yourself this as you reflect on 2008: Did you do what was good or did you retaliate? Did you act justly or give back what was given to you 10x's worse? Did you love and give mercy when it wasn't convenient for you or did you discard feeble attempts to reconcile? Have you been walking humbly or did you toot your own horn when it best suited you-so that you looked better than the rest?
I guess when I reflect on 2008 I noticed I failed a lot in 2008-especially when it came to Micah 6:8. Normally, I think I do pretty good, but I know I diluted myself just as many of us do. Classic example was my brother. Regardless of what you know of him, know this...he and I have since become close due to his attempts to move on. Although it was hard and it seemed like he was a broken record...he did shock me when he decided to take responsibility-or at least what I interpreted as an attempt to reach out in his brokenness and uncertainty.
As everyone searches for clarity and security, this much I know. If we were to follow Micah 6:8 everyday...I think we'd make life a bit easier on ourselves. There's no room for ego if God is in charge...it's about walking humbly and being open to His will and direction for you in 2009 and for the rest of your life.

No comments: