Thursday, November 13, 2008

Missing It?

Over the past two weeks my friend Chris Hansen and I have been going to various High Schools (Southwest & East) to touch base with our youth outside of the church walls. Our goal is to meet them in their element and we haven't been disappointed. In fact, at both schools we've been overlooked, walked by, and forgotten about in the span of an hour and a half.
It was interesting to see how many of our respective youth walked by us or near us with our full acknowledgment of their existence but none given to ours. I wonder...are we missing something? Could it be that Chris and I might be missing out or that our youth are missing it?
Confused, well don't be. Let me clarify...in Revelation 3:20 it says: 'Look! Here I stand at the door and knock. If you hear me calling and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal as friends'. Interestingly enough that's the goal that Chris and I have too...to have lunch with our youth. To catch up and touch base on how things have been since we last met-whether it be at Youth Group or Bible Study.
I had a lot of resources and analogies I wanted to use on this particular blog, but I decided to save a couple for later. So I give you this story instead...
A rich man took a group of friends to Paris following World War I. He showed them all the sights, they had never seen such things. But nothing impressed these men more than the faucet in their hotels. They turned it on and off, on and off, amazed that with a twist of the wrist they could have all the water they wanted.
When it was time to leave Paris and return home, the rich man found his friends in the bathrooms trying to disconnect the spout saying 'we NEED faucets! If we have them, we will have all the water we want.'
You see, they didn't understand the role of the faucet. The spouts carry water, but don't produce it. Spigots are the tool, not the source-the valve directs fluid, but generate it? We know this right???
Or do we? God pours out his love into our lives and we miss it. God gives us family, but we miss it. He gives us friends, but we sometimes miss it. God's gifts come in many packages...but are we missing it? The blessings in our lives?
If you think you're missing it...there's an invitation just for you-John 7:37 'If anyone is thirsty, let him/her come to me, not my prophets (pastors, teachers) or people and drink. Did you catch that...come to HIM thirsty for love, knowledge, and forgiveness.
While Chris and I are here for our youth...we know that we're here for God's mission and purpose and we want to help you find the well you seek.

No comments: